Wednesday, February 10, 2010

So I guess I'm not big on blogging! It's been three months since my very first entry. Homeschooling has been very challenging and so has my fibromyalgia. Things are looking up today and I wanted to share why...


Homeschooling - Well, we're having trouble with one in math and the other in writing and spelling. I guess my health has contributed to the frustration. We have switched Adam from Singapore math to Saxon math. There's more work to do with Saxon so we just don't do all of the lessons because the last part is a lot of review. We just stop after 20 questions. Review is great, but if the lessons have review every day then I'm sure the last 10 or so problems we skip will be covered eventually. Adam especially loves the timed test parts that review basic math facts.
Another reason we have had a turn around is because we decided to get up earlier and start school earlier. This way I'm up with them at the same time and I can make sure that we are all ready to start at the same time. Today we were ready at 9:30! We used to start between 11 and 11:30. Now, when we're finished around 11:30, I take a shower and we have the rest of the day for ourselves. Praise God for getting me out of bed when the alarm went off!

The fibromyalgia has also been a journey. I was pretty well under control with the pain using Aleve until December. In December I had two episodes of throwing up that were not virus related. I also had a great deal of stomach pain. I attributed it to the Aleve and stopped taking it in early January. I continued my herbal suppliments, but the pain was unbearable. After a week of no pain meds I fell apart...lost it...couldn't take it anymore. My mother called while I was in tears and I answered the phone. She rescued me with some Lyrica (which I had taken a couple of years previously). I was considering taking it again even though it had made me feel loopy, dizzy, and blurred my vision. This was my chance to give it another try and dull my pain. It really helped and I didn't feel as high as I did the other time I tried it. I eventually made a doctor's appointment so he could prescribe me some more. He did and I'm mostly happy with it. I have my loopy moments and I say silly things that I would normally only think, but it's helping me with my pain and I'm still able to drive and teach. I still have some tweaking to do in regards to how much I need and when, but I think I've got it figured out. I just have to talk to the doctor about it again.

God hears when we cry. My mom called when I was crying out to God to help. He used her to help me when I needed it most. Thank you, Lord! Now I just ask you to help Michael to be able to spell and write and please help Adam with his math. And please help me be patient and loving in all that I do.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're back!! :) I've been checking regularly, so this was a nice treat to see that you posted! Keep it up, Michelle -- not only might you be able to minister to others who read this, but it can be very cathartic for you as well! :)

    We will most certainly keep these issues in prayer. Sounds like MATH is the big enemy for our kids this year, in one way or another. :) But you're absolutely, 100% right -- God does indeed hear us when we cry, and He definitely jumps in -- in one way or another -- not always to "rescue" us, for often He wants us to experience even the difficult things, but He's there to hold us tight while we journey through it.

    Hope to read more updates! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey -- go find a cool background and have fun with it! :)

    ReplyDelete